It's October 1st! For those who know me well, you know that Halloween is honestly my favorite holiday that has very little to do with family (Love you guys!). If we count family, then obviously my favorites are Thanksgiving and Christmas. I usually spend Thanksgiving with one side of the family and Christmas with the other. However, Halloween is all mine! The spooky decorations, costumes, and me being brave enough to dare watch a horror film and/or go to a haunted house. It all just makes me so happy!
Since finding things that give me joy is now something I'm trying to focus on; I've decided that this year I just have to decorate. We live in a third floor apartment, which means very little risk of decorations being stolen from my porch this year- and we have a bunch of neighbor's porches facing ours, we might as well give them something to look at while they suck on their cancer sticks, right? I was going to drag out the decorations we had and get them all set up for this post, but guys, I haven't found any of it! Well, that's not entirely true, I did find a strand of purple lights. We also have gargoyles and dragons around out house, however they are not decoration, they're guardians. So what's a girl to do when she wants to decorate, but doesn't have anything?
Well duh, she DIY's it! Or, I will be. I already have a couple crafts I'm planning on, but I have to get the supplies for such things. And I'm hoping to find our decorations, but I'll have to see if mom knows where they are (we might have gotten rid of them when we were moving from a two bedroom apartment to a one).
So, my plans for this post got bumped down to next Tuesday (I'm alright with that, it just means I have more posts planned and I'm more likely to keep going on this adventure. Also, if you guys have any ideas on what you'd like to see, please let me know!). It did leave me wondering what I was going to talk about though, but since I sat down and started typing, I think I've done alright!
I would like to say that this is an important time of year for me spiritually as well. As some folks know, Halloween has some deep Pagan roots that you can still see today. It was the end of summer- officially- and the third and last harvest was brought in around this time. The veil between the worlds of the living and dead were thin at this time. People would dress as ghosts, with straw or even as the opposite gender in order to confuse the Nature spirits that would otherwise play pranks on them! There were traditions of leaving offerings of food for your ancestors outside your door, or setting an extra place for them at the table, and people even buried apples and such for ghosts who didn't have descendants to care for them. Candles were lit to guide the dead home to their families. This time of year celebration was(is) called Samhain (sow-en). There are several traditions and rituals involved with this celebration, but I wont go into any more detail. (If you'd like to read more, please visit this site, or do a quick Google search!)Personally I'm just getting back into studying/practicing these kinds of rituals, so I'm not sure what I'll be participating in this year; most likely just study.
I think that's pretty good for today. I don't have any plans on a costume, or even what all I'm going to do other than decorate a bit. Maybe I'll visit a pumpkin patch with my baby sister? She's old enough that I think she'd enjoy it.
Anyway! Have a great rest of your week! Pumpkin flavored things are everywhere, so go get at least one thing! I'll see you guys on Tuesday with my decorations!
No comments:
Post a Comment